One of the most or even the most important feature of an online shopping cart is the looks of it and the user experience it brings to customers.
Below are some guidelines and tips on what consumers expect, what looks good, and what works.
Overall design colour choices
- There should be a contrast of colour in both the text and background and also in links and normal text colours.
Optimised sizes & looks of images
- Logo: 500px by 500px
- Banner: 1200px by 450px
- Product image: 800px by 800px (< 1.5mb)
Most importantly, the images should always be as clear as possible, never pixelated or of low resolution.
Choose grid view if you have images for most item (use a generic restaurant photo for the other items without images) otherwise list view would be a better choice for menus with few photos. In addition, if you are using the option of list view, items in the same category with photos should be positioned above items without photo.
Item information/ description
- Items should have photos for illustration which entices customers to buy
- Descriptions of items would be helpful for customers to make an informed choice. For example:
- Size of pizza / cake (6", 12" / 1 kg, 2 kg)
- Recommended for how many pax
- Contents of a set meal / platter
- Number of pieces of chicken wings in the item
- Menu should be frequently reviewed and kept up to date. Festive items should be removed once the festival is over.
Other winning formulas
- Introduce and separate the vegetarian options into a different category so that customers who are not looking at ordering all vegetarian meals can find suitable options for a minority of people whom they might be ordering for.
- Offering platter options would be convenient for those who are ordering in groups.
- Payment through Stripe (only available in certain countries) is preferred over PayPal because of the seamless checkout process for customers.
- Collection of credit card details separately is discouraged because of security issues.
If your shopping cart has met all the requirements above, you are ready to charm your customers with your beautiful shopping cart ;)